Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Day 30 - Aaron's Wish

     It is so difficult in our world not to be cynical.  I find myself getting irritable after 10 minutes of watching the news or reading the headlines.  Sometimes I have to just stop and think, "really?"  How did society get so twisted?  When did it become impossible to flip through the channels of a television without seeing something offensive or inappropriate?  Maybe it's because I'm older, but I don't think that's really it.  As a society we are becoming desensitized and the line between what is right and what is wrong has been blurred.  Worse yet, many people choose to push the limits under the umbrella of the First Amendment however  their rights step on the toes of those who try to strive for decency in this world.  And like a train wreck, we are drawn to this sensationalism.  We don't really want to see it, yet we can't look away.

     I am not singling out any one issue and I never intended for this blog to be judgmental or political.  This is not the time and place, but all of these bazaar and unusual actions in our world have made me want to seek out the "good and happy" stories in the press.  Why can't people just be nice to each other.

     Today, thankfully, I was moved by a story on the Today show about Aaron's Wish.  Being a lover of Random and unusual acts of kindness, I was drawn to this family and their story.  In a nutshell, a family lost their brother and son at a young age and he left a remarkable request in his Will.  He asked them at some point to leave a large ($500) tip to a random waiter or waitress in a restaurant.  NOT a fancy restaurant but a pizza or burger joint where the wait staff is likely in need of such a generous gesture.  The family had no money for this task so they reached out to others to help with their mission.  Incredibly, they have raised over $57,000--enough to tip 114 people so far.  They are filming their surprise tips and blogging about it as a tribute to Aaron's legacy and to encourage others to make random gestures of their own.  They are heroes in my eyes.

      The link to their website is http://aaroncollins.org/. You should read this family's blog - I could never do it justice.  Start at the beginning.  Watch the videos.  Cry a little. And then hit the paypal button and donate.  I did.  And as this family says on the blog, if you can't donate, then at some point, leave a generous tip of your own.  Surprise someone.  Open yourself up and let God guide you to the exact right person who needs you at the exact right time.

     Oh, and all that craziness on the news - tune it out, turn it off.  I'm happier when I do.

**DISCLAIMER - I have no affiliation to this family and cannot vouch for the use of any donated funds.  I chose to donate because in my heart I believe it to be true.  You have to make that decision for yourself.

"Let us more and more insist on raising funds of love, of kindness, of understanding, of peace. Money will come if we seek first the Kingdom of God - the rest will be given." ~ Mother Theresa

5 comments:

  1. I watched, I cried, I loved it. Thank you for sharing this. You are so very special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that gift and keep writing!I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found you and your lovely blog this morning through a post by Liz Hicks about the upcoming Virtual Gallery Walk. I am so glad I did! I have already read through a number of your posts as well as subscribed to your blog. I LOVE your message and feel like I have just met a kindred spirit. I cannot wait to see what you create for the virtual gallery and get to know you better.

    Love and prayers,
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feeling you in my heart! When my Mother died, I went out and bought a bouquet of roses, and went to her favorite places: pharmacy, Doctor's office, fast food restaraunts etc and gave out roses in her memory. She would have liked that.

    ReplyDelete